Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Quinoa Dinner Muffins

Little Man LOVES these babies! I decided to try something new for a change...experiment with egg muffins in the oven. People rave about them all the time, and by people I mean fitness guru's I watch on TV, so I decided to try my hand at it.

This is how my dinner turned out...pair 3 of them with a side salad, and they really are savory and satisfying.

Quinoa Dinner Muffins (makes 18 muffins, 2sp each)
2 T olive oil
1/4 medium red onion (any kind works great)
1/2 t minced garlic
1 c zucchini
1/4 t dried thyme
1/4 t ground basil
1/4 t black pepper
1/2 c no salt added diced tomatoes
3/4 c cooked quinoa (I used the already cooked kind found at Walmart...worked like a charm!)
1 c fresh parsley
8 eggs
7 egg whites
1/3 c shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Sautee onions, garlic, diced zucchini, thyme, and basil until onions are almost clear and veggies are a golden brown.
Once veggies are golden brown, add tomatoes, quinoa, and parsley. Cook until parsley wilts and let cool.

Whisk eggs and egg whites in separate bowl.
Spoon 1.5 T of quinoa mixture into **WELL GREASED muffin tins and then fill with eggs until about 3/4 full. (**Even if you have the "non-stick" pans like I do, you will definitely want to spray the tins anyways...I learned the hard way) Top with cheese and cook for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. 

If after 20 minutes the eggs still look a little runny, let it cook for 1-2 minutes more. Don't overcook or eggs will be chewy and firm...not so good.

I stored my left-overs in a tupperware in the fridge and had those babies for lunch the next day. I topped them with a little salsa, and they were delicious.
Be adventurous. Try new things! Love what you are doing, but most importantly, love yourself! Don't be afraid to add other ingredients as well. I've seen spinach, ham, ground turkey, various veggies...Just make sure it looks good so you'll want to eat it! Again, your kitchen is an adventure waiting to be discovered!

Happy eating,
Camille

No comments:

Post a Comment